Meet your A Step Ahead Physiotherapy team.
A wealth of expertise brought together to look after you.
Christine Gibbs PT, BS, MPT
Christine graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Physiology from California State University, Fresno. She continued her education at CSUF and graduated Magna Cum Laude with great distinction, earning a Master of Physical Therapy degree in 2001. Throughout her career, she has worked in a variety of settings and has treated all body parts from head to toe. She enjoys fixing people from all levels of fitness and has ultimately found her niche in sports rehabilitation and gait biomechanics. She is trained in a wide variety of manual therapy techniques, custom orthotic fitting, and specializes in biomechanics of the lower extremity and foot function. Becoming a Cayman Islands Physiotherapist has enabled her to continue with her passion for fixing people in an ideal environment and A Step Ahead Physiotherapy, Cayman is the perfect place!
Christine is an avid golfer, runner, and triathlon enthusiast. Due to this passion for athletics, she is keen to help others restore their health and fitness to enable them to return to their passions. Christine moved to the Cayman Islands in 2002 and has embraced the island lifestyle with her husband, Gary, and 2 cats, Cleo and Harley. She is proud to have been selected to serve on the National Council for Persons with Disabilities. She is looking forward to making improvements in Grand Cayman for those living with disabilities.
Education and Training
- BS, Exercise Physiology - California State University, Fresno, USA www.csufresno.edu/fresnostate
- Master of Physical Therapy - Magna Cum Laude with great distinction, California State University, Fresno, USA
- Functional Stability Training for the Lower Body www.functionalstability.com
- Functional Stability Training for the Upper Body www.functionalstability.com
- Mulligan Concept Functional Exam and Treatment of SI Joint & Pubic Symphysis www.neseminars.com
- Diagnosis & Treatment of Midfoot Injuries in Runner www.motivationsceu.com
- Advanced Management of Lower Extremity Injuries in the Athlete www.healthclick.com
- Diagnosing & Treating Injuries Resulting from a Breakdown of the Kinetic Chain www.motivationsceu.com
- Recent Advances in Evidence Based Evaluation and Treatment of the Knee www.OnlineKneeSeminar.com
- Knee Deep: Anatomical Review of Knee Structures www.motivationsceu.com
- Evidence-based Interventions for Myofascial Trigger Points www.motivationsceu.com
- Comprehensive Treatment of the Foot and Ankle www.glseminars.com
- Treatment of the Lumbar Complex www.glseminars.com
- Optimal Shoulder Performance www.ShoulderSeminar.com
- Core Functional Stability www.FunctionalStability.com
- Advanced Management of the Lower Extremeity Injuries in the Athlete www.healthclick.com
- Diagnosis and Treatment of the Upper & Lower Quadrant by Brian Mulligan http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Mulligan Concept: Shoulder, Thoracic, Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Mulligan Concept: Lumbar Spine, Sacroiliac Joint, and Hip http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Knee Rehab: Patellofemoral and ACL Injuries http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Muscle Imbalances http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Managing Challenging Lower Limb Problems by Jenny McConnell http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Assessment of the Lumbar Spine by David MaGee http://nes.multi-versity.com
- MTTS 80 Hour Acupuncture Foundation Course http://mtts-acupuncture.co.uk
- Recent Advances in the Treatment of Shoulder and Knee www.neseminars.com
- Fundamentals of Kinesio Taping Kinesio Taping KT1, KT2, KT3 Intermediate Whole Body Kinesio Taping www.kinesiotaping.com
- Myofascial Release: State of the Art Tissue Mobilization Active Release Techniques, Spine www.activerelease.com
- Practical Applications to Biomechanics of the Foot, Ankle, & Lower Extremity Assessment & Treatment of Lumbopelvic Instability Basics of Sacroiliac Mobilization www.glseminars.com
- For Your Patients Who Play Golf Take the Next Step http://www.rehabedge
- Manual Therapy of the Upper Extremity Functional Biomechanics of the Lower Quarter www.rehabedge
- Mat Pilates for Rehabilitation Mobilization of the Cervical and Thoracic Spine and Ribs www.glseminars.com
- Miami Hand Reconstruction Course www.orthonowfl.com
Areas of Focus
- Lower extremity biomechanics
- Running injuries and dysfunction - keeping the runner running!
- Foot dysfunction and how it affects everything above it
- Video gait analysis
- Video golf swing analysis
- American Physical Therapy Association www.apta.org California Chapter Physical Therapy Association www.ccapta.org
- National Council for Persons with Disabilities, Grand Cayman, January 2017 - present
- Volunteer with Cayman HospiceCare, 2013 - present www.caymanhospicecare.ky
- Director, Cayman Heart Fund Board, 2014 - present www.caymanheartfund.com
- Volunteer for Cayman Island Special Olympics, 2015 www.soci.ky
- Mentor for Mentoring Cayman, 2012 & 2014 www.caymanchamber.ky
- Past President of Cayman Islands Triathlon Association, www.triathlon.ky
- Volunteer Swim Physio for CIASA, 2002 - 2004
Triathlons, Half Marathons, Golf, Scuba diving, Water Skiing, Travelling and Cooking.
Elzke Hoehler PT, BSc.
Elzke graduated from the University of the Witwatersrand (WITS), Johannesburg, South Africa with a Bachelor of Science degree in Physiotherapy in 2011 and has 8 years of experience as a Physiotherapist both in South Africa and in the Cayman Islands.
During her time in South Africa Elzke worked in a specialized sports and orthopedics outpatient environment which equipped her with a large knowledge base and experience in this field. She completed her Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy (OMT) qualification in 2013, making her part of a group of manipulative physical therapist around the world who have completed this stringent post- graduation specialization.
Elzke loves treating sports injuries and orthopedic conditions, she specializes in the lumbo-pelvic complex, which includes lower back, hip and pelvic pain.
Her qualifications in manipulative therapy, dry needling, sports taping and clinical Pilates enhances her skillset to provide a holistic approach to managing her patients.
Elzke is a keen triathlete and has completed the Durban and Miami 70.3 Half Ironman’s, along with several individual cycling races and half marathons. She also enjoys the watersports Cayman has to offer such as Scuba diving and Wakeboarding.Qualifications, Courses and Seminars
- Bachelor of Science degree in Physiotherapy
- Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy (OMT)
- Dry Needling (Level 3)
- Kinesiology Taping (Level 2)
- BASI Pilates Mat Instructor
- Spinal Assessment and Treatment
- Soft Tissue Injury Treatment and Management
- Mobilization of the Nervous System (Neurodynamics)
- Certified pelvic health physiotherapist
Jen Lavelle PT, BSc.
Jen qualified from the University of Salford in 2012 with first class honors. During her studies she worked with Elsevier Publishers on developing an interactive Anatomy app, as well as being featured in a chapter of Tidy’s Physiotherapy on muscle imbalance. She is currently completing a Post Graduate Certificate in Advancing Physiotherapy accredited by Keele University. As a teenager, Jen trampolined at a national level and then went on to coach athletes of varying abilities, including those with special needs. As the third most dangerous sport in the UK, she saw many accidents and subsequent rehabilitation efforts. This, alongside the strength and conditioning aspect of her training, fuelled her interest in Physiotherapy as a profession. As a competitive athlete, weekly conditioning sessions developed a passion for clinical Pilates, Iyenga yoga, and tai chi that has inspired her interest in neuromusculoskeletal healthcare.
Jen has over three years experience as a senior clinician in the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. She has worked at the senior level, in both acute and community services. She also has extensive knowledge in musculoskeletal and orthopedic services, medical respiratory teams, and in neurological rehabilitation (including complex forensic presentations). Jen also has a wide-range of experience in rehabilitation for cardiovascular specialties including post-surgical, amputees, and stoke. She worked with the NHS Advancing Quality Alliance Frailty Research and Development Group in 2014. Jen is competent in acute and community respiratory therapy, including management of non-invasive ventilation and tracheotomy care.
Due to her local connections to Cayman, Jen couldn’t help but take the opportunity to escape the UK weather to work under sunnier skies. She has a keen interest in scuba diving, paddle boarding, and swimming which makes her perfectly suited for a tropical climate. Jen couldn’t relocate without bringing her beloved Land Rover Defender, and is often found enjoying leisurely drives out to East End on her days off.Education and Training
- BSc. Physiotherapy, University of Salford
- MSc. module Applied Clinical Anatomy (Keele University) – study into anatomical variation of the thoracic outlet
- MSc. module Physiology of Neuromusculoskeletal Tissues (Keele University) – study into cellular mechanisms of exercise induced changes in arthritic joints
- MSc. module Research Methods in Health (Keele University)
- MSc. module Evidence Based Practice (Keele University) – ongoing
- CPD Course: Concepts in Neurological Rehabilitation (Keele University)
- CPD Course: Management of Spasticity (University of East Anglia)
- CPD Course: Advanced Therapeutic Management of Respiratory Disorders (Keele University)
- CPD Course: Motor Control Retraining: Kinetic Control Theory (Keele University)
- CPD Course: Sports Taping (University of Salford)
- Advanced (Level II) Vestibular Assessment and Rehabilitation (Allan Sealy – Health Education Seminars)
- AACP Foundation Course in Western Medical Acupuncture
- Hypermobility and joint instability (Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder, hereditable connective tissue disease, generalized hypermobility, recurrent dislocation/subluxation)
- Older Peoples Rehabilitation (Frailty, metabolic disorders, Parkinson’s disease, palliative care)
- Chronic pain and fatigue syndromes (ME, CFS, RSD/CRPS, FM, post-viral syndromes)
- Cardiovascular rehabilitation (post-event, post-surgical, heart failure, valvular disease)
- Pulmonary rehabilitation (pulmonary fibrosis, restrictive lung pathologies including rheumatology)
- Vestibular rehabilitation (BPPV, Meniere’s, labrynthitis, falls and balance problems)
- Neurological rehabilitation (Stroke, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebella Ataxia, Neuromuscular disorders, Acquired Brain Injury, Cerebral Palsy – all including challenging behaviors)
- Rheumatology and orthopedics (arthritis, post-trauma, elective orthopedic surgery)
- Complex Respiratory Therapy (management of breathlessness, motor neurons disease, neurologically compromised airways, tracheostomy care and non-invasive ventilation)
- Hydrotherapy and clinical Pilates
- Member of the Council of Professions Allied with Medicine (CPAM)
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- Member of the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC)
- Member of the British Thoracic Society (BTS)
- Member of the British Neuroscience Association (BNA)
- AGILE Special Interest Group (Chartered Physiotherapists Working with Older People)
- Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (AACP)